Tuesday, August 18, 2026
spot_img
No menu items!

Latest Posts

Dr. Kwabena Donkor Denies Knowledge of Bribery Allegations in Asante Berko US Case

Former Minister of Power, Dr Kwabena Donkor, has strongly denied any knowledge or involvement in allegations of bribery linked to the United States case involving former Goldman Sachs banker Asante Berko.

In a press release issued through his lawyers, Cavendish Chambers, Dr Donkor said he had “absolutely no knowledge” of the allegations being circulated on social media and emphatically denied ever requesting or demanding money in connection with the matter.

The statement acknowledged that Dr Donkor was the relevant Minister at the time of the events in question, describing this as a matter of public record.

According to the lawyers, the Ministry of Power, during Dr Donkor’s tenure, negotiated with ASKA Energy for the generation of electricity in Ghana. The negotiations took place during what the statement described as a severe power crisis, commonly referred to as “Dumsor”, when the country was experiencing extensive load-shedding.

The statement further explained that, as part of the negotiations, a technical team comprising representatives of electricity-sector stakeholders in Ghana travelled to Istanbul, Turkey, to inspect equipment intended for the generation of electricity in Ghana.

The lawyers described the inspection as part of the regular pre-shipment inspection process.

Dr Donkor, through his lawyers, also stated that he had never met Asante Berko and had not seen him at any point during or after the negotiations.

The former Minister specifically denied having discussed any personal benefit with Berko or any other person, authorising anyone to discuss such matters on his behalf, or receiving money or any other personal benefit from Berko or anyone else.

The statement further said that if any individual had allegedly made a criminal demand in Dr Donkor’s name, that person would have acted for their own benefit and without his authorisation.

Dr Donkor’s lawyers also said their client did not understand any evidence presented in the US trial to have linked him personally to demanding or receiving money, cedis, dollars or anything of value.

They rejected any suggestion that claims by other individuals that they required money from their principals for the benefit of a “Senior Ghana Official” or another title holder should be interpreted as evidence of criminality or wrongdoing on the part of Dr Donkor.

The lawyers said they had been instructed to notify the general public of their client’s position and warned that any publication or statement which they consider defamatory or contrary to the position outlined in the release, and which seeks to impugn Dr Donkor’s reputation and integrity, would result in immediate legal proceedings.

The statement was signed by K. Y. Hammond, Head of Chambers at Cavendish Chambers.

Source: parliamentnews360.com

Latest Posts

spot_imgspot_img

Don't Miss

Stay in touch

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.